Shane Olafson, Of Counsel at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP, has earned the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
The CIPP/US credential reflects a strong foundation in U.S. privacy laws and regulations, and an understanding of the legal requirements for the responsible transfer of data internationally. Olafson received the CIPP designation upon passing the CIPP/US examination, which certifies knowledge of:
- Federal privacy laws, including HIPAA, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA);
- Various state privacy and data breach notification laws;
- Regulation of commercial advertising, including telemarketing, CAN-SPAM, and the Junk Fax Prevention Act (JFPA);
- Employment-related privacy laws and best practices for background screening, employee testing, workplace monitoring, and employee investigation; and
- Cyber liability insurance, which fills gaps that are not covered by general commercial liability plans.
Only a small number of attorneys are CIPP certified, as the certification primarily is sought by Chief Privacy Officers, information technology specialists and other industry professionals.
Olafson spearheads the firm’s data privacy and cybersecurity practice. He handles a variety of privacy and data protection issues, including risk assessment, developing policies and strategies, regulatory compliance, incident response and preparedness, and representing clients in litigation and administrative proceedings.
The CIPP/US program launched in 2004 as the first professional certification in information privacy. It has since become the global standard in privacy certification.