Nothing is more rewarding to our team than granting the money we raise through our Foundation’s annual pancake feed. Who would think the employees of a local firm could change lives and make a difference flipping pancakes one gorgeous autumn day each year in a midtown park in Tucson? We can’t claim full credit, as it is the financial support of so many C&W | PICOR clients and friends, as well as donated labor, goods and materials from our community partners, that makes this possible. The effort had humble Kiwanis beginnings 50 years ago, carried forward by C&W | PICOR’s formation of the PICOR Charitable Foundation in 1994.
Our October 2012 event raised a record $49,000 this year, exceeding our seemingly lofty goal and bringing the Foundation’s 18-year total over $582,000. And by coincidence, November 8th was Tucson’s National Philanthropy Day celebration. On this day, we made decisions to grant out 100% of the funds raised.
With requests from local youth-serving nonprofits totaling $122,000, we were unable to fund every worthy program. Programs we supported included basic needs (shoes, clothing, formula, diapers), support for homeless and teen pregnancy, literacy, arts, camps for those differently abled, and therapeutic services, all for area children disadvantaged economically, physically or otherwise.
Our grant committee was thrilled to provide awards ranging from $500 to $3,000 to these 32 organizations:
- American Red Cross, SO AZ Chapter
- Arizona Blind & Deaf Children’s Foundation, Inc.
- Arizona Theater Company
- Arizona’s Children Association
- Assistance League of Tucson, Inc.
- Camp Wildcat
- CASA Support Council for Pima County
- Children’s Museum Tucson
- Diaper Bank of Southern Arizona
- Educational Enrichment Foundation
- Emerge! Center Against Domestic Abuse
- Gabriel’s Angels
- Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona
- Integrative Touch for Kids
- Interfaith Community Services
- KIN Foundation
- Make Way for Books
- Our Family Services, Inc.
- Project Linus
- Reachout Pregnancy Center
- Shyann Kindness Project
- Somali Bantu Association of Tucson, AZ Inc.
- Southern Arizona Children’s Advocacy Ctr
- Special Olympics Arizona (SOAZ)
- Sunnyside Unified School District Foundation, Inc.
- Therapeutic Riding of Tucson (TROT)
- Tu Nidito Children & Family Svcs
- Tucson Festival of Books
- Tucson Girls Chorus
- UA College of Eduction / Worlds of Words
- YMCA of Southern Arizona
- Youth on their Own
If you’ve been part of the effort, we thank you. If you would like to donate to the Foundation and fund the next round of recipients, know that 100% of the funds you donate will be granted to youth serving charities.
As a result of the serendipitous coincidence of PICOR Charitable Foundation’s grant meeting with National Philanthropy Day, we have decided to convene on National Philanthropy Day by intention going forward.